Friday, July 13, 2012

What are You Building ?

In today`s world of rapid advancing technology is something being lost in the way we treat, think of, communicate, and respond to how elusive the simple form of face to face dialogue is disappearing.
I just texted a friend who is going through some serious anguish, and feel so shallow in not being able to directly communicate my concern. To see that there is care, concern , and love meant behind those typed words.

Texting, emails, snail mail, voice mail, fax, and now the explosion of social media. While it is a wonder how fast things change, is it all for the better? Or, as one once said ; Is something lost in translation? I know when I get an email, sometimes I wonder about the emotion behind it when it was written. In my personal life, I have learned that a lot of the time, I need to read it, and sit on it before I hit that send button.

The troublesome areas are about the lack of human interaction and the removal of feelings and emotion from all this technology. Is this how we were created? To be so indefinitely at the mercy of machines and gadgets. In writing this I also realize I am a big contributor to this . The other day my wife an I sat in our living room with the kids. I was on my laptop, as well as my wife on hers. My son was on his Knook and daughter was playing on a DS . The tv was also going. At some point my wife an I looked at each other and we both had the same thought, same awareness, and realization. That is not quality family time. Far be it, that wasn`t even family time.

There is a verse from a song " I rush and rush to get things done, I hurry and hurry until life is no fun". How true those words are. I find the more and more I get hooked into all these new advances in technology, the less and less conversations I am having in my own life with others, face to face. In Philipians the Apostle Paul writes in 4:14  "I thank you for allowing me to share with you this message" . Even though it was written in a letter, the powerful personal message can be felt and understood. This is what I need more of in my life. Do you?

So this brings me back to the question of "what am I building?" What example am I setting for my children? When does the aspect of getting all that I can done as fast as possible loose touch with the reality that when this happens I am not building anything other than a completed checklist. There will be no memories associated with it, only the fact that "something" was accomplished. It will keep me where writing this is emotionally for me right now- hollow.

I believe that when Christ was preaching in parables there was another meaning to this form of teaching. So that the truth would be heard, and thought would be provoked, but maybe also so that communicating the lessons and teachings would be used as a way to communicate. To enrich, and fulfill our lives, through personal intimate contact with each other. How simple a plan of action. How fortunate to be able to be a part of that process, if we choose to.

My next door neighbor once told me that if I need anything to just call him. I really do not believe he was asking me to pick up the phone. The words were said without literal meaning. However he built community with me by speaking it. It was personal, it was face to face, and it was meant, I could see it in his eyes. The simpleness of that conversation is still with me today. It created a memory, and a connection of building something. An actual phone call would have been reduced to plea, request or nothing other than information sharing lacking any aspect of human interaction.

I can only do my part. I wish for more awareness and consideration of this. As God created us with abilities, he also gives us the ability to process. I need to process more awareness of what I am building.
I know if someone text or emails me a message of encouragement, concern, or just to say hi, it has nowhere near the effect as a face to face conversation over a cup of coffee. It does not build the relationship as bumping into someone at the grocery store. A movie is great,  but it does not replace the storytelling of a handed down story from my grandparents to my children.

The only thing I can end this with is the story of Noah. He was warned of what was to come. He conversed with his wife and family and labored- together, face to face. The storm came and he survived as well as all those aboard. It was not new technology, it was the common things of the day. And by the way, The Ark was built by an amateur, The Titanic was built by the best technology of the day.

EOJ
7/13/2012



No comments:

Post a Comment