Friday, March 16, 2012

Tick Tock- The pendulum is swinging.

It is probably pretty well known about the analogy of the pendulum swinging. The reference is to where you are on your journey. Where you are in your in your personal struggles, fears, anxieties, goals, and so forth. That if you are not moving forward you are back sliding, a place of stagnation, instead of progressing, or advancing. I have often used this reference in talking with others about myself. Looking to receive some feedback for reflection. My grandmother used to say "do not put off until tomorrow, what you can accomplish today" .  What I would not give, to have her words, and guidance back in my life today.

 Last year, on two different occasions, I spent time in the mid-west part of the country. Being from New England, I am always amazed at how much slower the pace of everyday life seems to be, in other parts of the U.S.. I have also observed this in Florida, and other parts as well.  There is a part of me that wishes this to be transplanted into my life. The less hectic rush and rush. Then again, as long as it suits my timetable.The twenty minute wait, two days in a row at a fast food place for coffee disturbed me.  In my mind the pendulum definitely went in the wrong direction there.

 So with the pace of life being lived in 2012 how are we supposed to begin to do self evaluation? In order to "keep up with the Jones`" how do we correctly attain this virtue? Your guess is as good as mine.
With the aging and maturity process I guess. Or in other aspects, it might be the experience we gain with each passing year, and in doing so, the realization that half the stuff we think is so important, might not actually be all that important at all.

In sixteen days March will be over. Can someone please tell me where the first quarter of this year went?  I am still looking for winter, and was told we are changing the clocks. Springing forward, just great, another hour of lost sleep. Defintely better off not having to be accountable for that hour as well.

I recently started reading a collection of writings by Henri J.M. Nouwen. For me, this book is showing me how to connect prayer, and meditation. To take time to reflect. Especially when all is not going well. When the uncertainty about decisions, and directions conflict. In reading this book, I am realizing something about that pendulum swinging. When points of stagnation, indecision, and regression happen it is from these opportunities, that I can emerge stronger. If I take the time to realize that experience is the greatest teacher of all. Having traveled down this road, or path before. However, if I am moving to fast, not in balance, then I will have lost the opportunity to gain anything from this past experience.

As we are moving around in our daily duties and activities, are we spending enough time in reflection of our purpose? I believe personally I fail to do this on a regular basis. Taking time to observe my own actions sometimes, seems to be one more thing I do not have time for. Yet, if I cannot access my activities, how do I now if my own personal pendulum is moving in the right direction? The answer is prayer, meditation, and reflection. It is doing this, that I can be more productive by constructively observing myself through purpose. Prayer will allow for a calming and slow down period mentally. It puts me in touch with my creator, God, and allows for a journey of internal discernement. It breaks down the walls that blind me, when activity after activity, makes which direction I am moving in chaotic. For me, Prayer and meditation work together the best when followed by reflection. It deepens my relationship with God, lifts me up, and straightens my shoulders, to once again move forward in action. Armed with a new sense of vitality towards accomplishments.

 In writing these few short paragraphs, I realize that my grandmother`s wisdom has just returned to the forefront of my mind , with a clearer sense of purpose. If I take the time to connect with God in prayer,and meditation, perhaps then, I will not put off to tomorrow what I can accomplish today. The sound of the clock going "tick-tock' will not seem so loud. Maybe then, the focus of that pendulum swinging will be more in tune with God`s importance for his will in my life than my own. Thanks Nana! I just realized you have been with me, guiding me.

EOJ
3/16/2012

No comments:

Post a Comment